I am not a trained mycologist, and this site in no way offers expert opinion. I won’t try to identify mushrooms via pictures. And I assume no liability for whatever someone may do with the information contained herein.
And I don’t take undue risks. Mycotoxins can be very nasty – and no mushroom is worth damaging one’s organs permanently, no matter how delectable it may appear.
I try to identify almost every mushroom I see, with the exception of “little brown mushrooms” which are in astounding supply, and are invariably poisonous, at least, that’s what an odds-maker would say.
The species I eat are pretty unequivocal. Giant puffballs, the hen of the woods, morels, oyster mushrooms – these are easy to identify. Sure, there are proxies for each that I want no part of eating. However, I am meticulous, observant, rigorous and committed to not poisoning myself.
Sometimes, I do make an effort to identify (and eat!) a species with which I’m not familiar, most notably, the honey mushrooms I found last year. I made spore prints, noted a host of physical characteristics, considered time of year, habitat, and recent rainfall. Everything lined up. There were no questions. I ate them. They were delicious.
However, if there are ever any questions in my mind – if one identifier doesn’t line up, though everything else does – I won’t eat the mushroom. Period. I’ll take pictures, and muse upon the mushroom’s identity, but I stop there.
I will probably never eat an American Parasol mushroom. It’s tall, white and found in woodlands. So is the aptly-named Destroying Angel. I’ll look, I’ll be interested, but I’ll leave that one behind for someone else.
This site is merely my diary of my foraging expeditions. You’re welcome to tramp along with me.